Thursday, July 12, 2007

Something about Moo

Refer to previous post please. Ok, now that you know what kind of night I had, I was getting ready to log out, go to bed and got the biggest tickle.

I have an 18 mo old purebred German Shepherd. He was abused as a pup and given to me when he was 8 months old. His registered name is something stupid (Apollo Third Rock From the Sun) I just call him something equally stupid...Moo.

Have you ever seen a shepherd pup try to chew a tennis ball and a Nylabone at the same time? Trust me, hilarious. I've been trying to work with him to be less timid, seems to be better at times but he'd still rather run and hide than look at a stranger. With all the fireworks lately, I'm a bit tired of having him run up to me, stick his head between my legs and quiver...no jokes please, I'm aware of what that sounds like! :-)

Anyway, any other dog, 'specially our trained K9's, no way no how would I get on my knees and take something from them. This one...not so smart. He cocks his head, perks his ears, lets go of both toys and licks my ear. Oh boy! Yea for me! I get a wet willie from a dog! So much for me playing with him, poor boy just doesn't know how and still thinks if I take something he's been bad.

I tried playing fetch with him several months ago, throwing a 15 inch stick across the yard - we don't do that anymore. Graceful there slides in the wet grass and somehow impales himself - in the groin. I can see all the men that may read this crossing their legs in empathatic pain now. Yes one vet visit and 200.00 later my Moo is no longer sportin wood bigger than shepherds are supposed to. The stake somehow managed to almost go straight thru him almost out his back, yet missed every single vital organ.

God bless that dog and his pound puppy sister Moira a Scottie/Schnauzer mix I affectionately call a Schnottie. On my worst days without trying, they never fail to make me laugh.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love my pups too. Don't they make even the crappiest shift melt away?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us "po-po" safe and back-up on the way.