Monday, November 24, 2008

been awhile

Yeah, it's been awhile since I've posted. Lots of personal stuff etc. I've trained in fire dispatch in the past year so I've been occupied with just keeping my head on straight.

One thing I've learned...telling dispatch what's going on and not sounding like an idiot...not reserved for officers! I've finally after a year gotten to where I'm having a little fun, loosening up a bit, not sounding so formal to the firefighters. I get a bit of perkiness in the voice on return - oh every once in awhile. And rare tho it is, it's coming thru a bit more often...

Sent a company out to a locked apartment complex that is specifically for physically challenged individuals. Since most are in wheelchairs, it is inaccessible to most people. The apt bldg has a 'knox box', a key that is locked in a box that we can unlock the box from dispatch with a code...but the fire truck needs to be in proximity of it.

I hear on a channel reserved for 'knox box'...Engine 3, please unlock box #... My partner hits the knox box #... Then it's 'Engine 3, um, can you hit it again, it's all stiff in there'. What?? My partner hits knox box #... 'Engine 3 to dispatch, can you hit it again, it's like all hard and stuck'. Whoo! Well OK! Finally, 'Engine 3, can you start another company to come help, maybe it wont be hard for them'. By now, oh...you don't want to know the images that were going thru my mind!

I start another company...'Engine 7, make the assignment with Engine 3 for lift assistance...Engine 3 will be outside the bldg, requesting assistance with getting the knox box open'. After a minute I hear 'Engine 7...Engine 3 is requesting what?' 'Um, Engine 7, Engine 3 is requesting assistance in getting the knox box open'. 'Engine 7....just what is the problem again?'. Oh boy, here we go.... 'Engine 7, Engine 3 is advising they are um, unable to open the knox box'. 'Engine 7, what do you mean "unable"?'. 'Engine 7, Engine 3 advises they are unable to open the knox box cuz it's all stiff and stuck in there'. (insert hysterical laughing here) 'Engine 7 copies!'

A minute later... 'Engine 3...you can cancel Engine 7...it's not stiff anymore, we took care of it ourselves'.

I promise people - I am not kidding, elaborating or prevaricating!

1 comment:

John M. Wills said...

Looking for stories from female dispatchers for my next book, Women Warriors. Go to my website for more info johnmwills.com or email at jmwills@hotmail.com

Best,
John